Amazon is a real Ops first/hard-core technology company. DevOps is a popular key word in IT world today, but only a few who can put it into best practice and drive core business growth.
- CI/CD tools is first step. Must have a good pipeline from development stage to production stage. That pipeline should integrate with security check, integration test etc.
- Code review and bar raiser.
- One main branch Git.
- Canary Deployment tools in order to release the new feature to a subset of users progressively.
- Alarms and Monitor tools (infra, exceptions, errors…)
- Dashboard Metrics tools (gathering users info after launch )
- Developers take life cycle of code (dev, test, production bugs fix etc.)
- High skills coworkers ( Managers, Product Managers, Developers)
- Good communication channel (Instant message tools, ticket tracking tools, knowledge sharing tools)
No real DevOps can achieve if missing any above step, in my option.